The Vision, Mission, and Values
Vision: Sheridan House is committed to offering our community services, which give children and families the opportunity to reach their full, God given, potential; opportunities that might otherwise not be available due to impeding circumstances in the home.
Mission: The mission of Sheridan House Family Ministries, Inc. is to honor Christ, by serving the needs of children and families.
Values: The staff at SHFM is committed to a faith in Jesus Christ. We believe that the principles for living are revealed by God through Christ and the Holy Scriptures. We train parents on how to lead their families in a godly way; to do marriage according to God’s plan and to raise up children to take responsibility for themselves and to be tomorrow’s leaders – not followers. Pro 22:6 Train up a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not depart from it.
History and Calling
Our calling is to serve children and families… training parents on how to lead their families in a godly way; to do marriage according to God’s plan and to raise up children to take responsibility for themselves and to be tomorrow’s leaders – not followers.
Bob Barnes becomes Executive Director of Sheridan House. He is currently in his 39th year of service.
Social Services Program to help single parent families with groceries, clothing and furniture.
Four acres of land was donated in South West Broward (Southwest Ranges) for a girl’s campus.
The Michael Jeffery Peters Memorial Counseling Center at Sheridan House opens its doors. The counseling center was built to help individuals and families by offering affordable Christian counseling.
The dream of a new campus was unfolded: a 40 acre campus with eight homes for middle school age boys and girls, a counseling center and a program for single moms with housing a daycare.
By God’s grace, demonstrated through the generosity of 700 donors, Sheridan House closed on a new 57 acre campus called “The Miracle on Flamingo Road.”
The State of Florida votes to give Sheridan House its own license plate called: “The Family Values” License Plate.
The new campus on Flamingo Road opens with three boy’s homes, a counseling center, the Single Mom Care Corner and the Family Resource Center (Sheridan House also operates the original four-acre girl’s campus at a separate location off Flamingo Road).
ParentingOnPurpose.org launches with website, blogs and a weekday radio broadcast.
Sheridan House Celebrates 45 years of Ministry! ParentingOnPurpose.org weekday radio broadcast covers the state of Florida reaching up to 40,000 listeners per week with over 200,000 visitors per year!
The Ministry Model
People are introduced to our ministry as referrals from local area churches, through participating in Sheridan House seminars on marriage or raising children, the Broward County School System and by individuals already acquainted with our ministry.
- Marriage and Family Seminars & Pulpit supply: 136,962 people in 2013.
- ParentingOnPurpose.com: Over 200,000 visitors, an estimated 1.2M radio listeners (plus podcast subscribers).
- Counseling Center: we worked with 3,801 individuals in 2013.
- Single Parent Ministry: It is a hand-up not a handout… to receive ongoing assistance single mothers attend classes designed to equip them for life. In 2013 3,618 single moms and children receive training and assistance (food, clothing, school supplies, financial assistance, and other material items).
- Residential Program for Middle-School aged children: We provide residential care for boys and girls with behavioral and emotional issues. Over 132 children, parents and siblings received assistance in 2013
In God’s goodness, we have been nationally recognized for effectively managing and growing our finances by Charity Navigator, the nation’s largest independent non-profit evaluator. We received their highest ranking of 4-stars demonstrating to our donors that we are fiscally responsible and worthy of their trust.
Ministry Goals for Success and Growth Strategy
Our goals are to minister to families, look at what God is doing and be ready to jump on board. The vision is God’s, He already has the vision. The response to the vision is ours, to notice what God is doing around us, see the need and respond for the glory of God and He will supply the resources.
We recognize that we have to be willing to fail. Moses kept going back to Pharaoh and he had to keep trusting God. The “win” for Sheridan House is changed lives – using felt needs in the lives of people to lead them to Christ.
Ministry Prayer Strategy
- Over 220 women meet weekly at Sheridan House for a Bible study and to pray for our ministry.
- Rosemary Barnes is the prayer team coordinator and the person who communicates our prayer needs and answers to prayers.
Ministry Human Resources
- We look for people that have a servant heart that compliments the skill set we are looking for to fill a position.
- Staff handles all dealings with the children, all counseling and operating the ministry.
- Volunteers lend support to special events, the single mom’s ministry events, and fundraising events.
- Volunteers are also critical to maintaining our property.
Ministry Funding Plan
- The Board represents about 25% of our revenue.
- The Board is very involved in special events, fundraising and introducing individuals to Sheridan House.
- Fundraising activities are driven by volunteer committees and staff.
- We raise friends and funds through a series of special events held throughout the year which are targeted to differing demographics.
- Special events are responsible for $835,000 of our budget (25%). This year’s events include:
- 5K event that generates $100,000
- Sporting clay event that generates $75,000
- Golf Invitational with 25 people that generates $70,000
- Annual Auction that raises $50,000
- Non-Event event $35,000
- Flats-Fishing tournament raises $80,000-$100,000
- Annual Golf event with over 250 golfers grosses over $425,000
Since the inception of Sheridan House tens of millions of dollars have been raised through various sources of giving for capital building campaigns and general ministry donations.
Ministry Current Needs
- 2014 is a year that launches two major building campaigns:
- Multipurpose building that will be used for marriage and parenting seminars, Bible studies, single mom’s training classes, special fundraisers and indoor sports activities for the children that live on campus.
- A new 9,000 square foot home for girls on the main campus.
- We accept in-kind gifts and services. They can be very helpful especially as it relates donations that can be used to bless single moms (such as school supplies, clothing, food, automobiles, household products, etc.).
- We have a very active base of volunteer support (about sixty active volunteers) and without them we could not function.