1. Start with $10,000 in cash
2. Write checks to ministries for $10,000
3. Receive a $10,000 charitable deduction
4. Keep track of every receipt manually
5. Continue to pay capital gains tax in your portfolio
1. Donate $10,000 of stock to Sheridan House
2. Receive a $10,000 charitable deduction
3. Shares are sold by Sheridan House tax free
4. Still like your stock? Re-fund your portfolio with cash
5. Use tax savings
• Less tax: You actually eliminate capital gains tax on donated stock.
• More Giving: You increase your giving capacity by eliminating current or future tax exposure.
• Reset your cost basis: If you like your stock you can use your cash to repurchase the same stock or mutual fund.
• Tax-free rebalancing: You can rebalance our portfolio with no tax consequences.
• Improved personal cash flow: Use your tax savings to increase your charitable deduction.
• Tax-free growth: Gifts invested by Sheridan House inside a giving fund can grow tax free.
THE NET RESULTS OF GIVING STOCK VS. WRITING CHECKS IS DRAMATIC
|Give $50K Cash||Give $50K Stock||Comments:|
|Capital Gains Tax||($6,000)||0||Selling a $50K position with $20K cost basis taxed at 20% Federal tax rate|
|Gift to Sheridan House||$50,000||$56,000||Give an extra $6,000 in cash instead of paying capital gains tax|
|Income Taxes Saved||$17,500||$19,600||Gift to charity x 35% income tax (no Florida state income tax)|
|Net Tax Benefit||$11,500||$19,600||Income taxes saved less capital gains tax Giftng stock reduces overall cash used for giving on an after-tax basis|
|Net Cash Out-of-Pocket||$38,500||$36,400||Additional $6,000 to Sheridan House plus $2,100 more cash available|
Simply ask your broker to transfer your stocks or mutual funds to Sheridan House and we liquidate the assets.
Stock Transfer Instructions – Merrill Lynch
To the Account of: Sheridan House
A/C # 750-02251 DTC 8862
Indicate the name of the stock, the number of shares transferred, and the date of transfer.
After making the stock transfer, in order to properly identify your stock gift, please contact Don King, Controller at Sheridan House at (954) 583-1552 or via email: email@example.com.